Monday, April 28, 2014

No more school for me

So, I quit my program.  Yep, I'm a 37 year old quitter.  Except that I'm not.  I have a BA in comparative literature and a Master of Library and Information Science.  So quitting my MAT was the best thing I ever did.  Especially because it made me miserable.

So now I'm just another single mom living the dream.  Working, packing lunches, and using my Dammit Doll to get through the dinner/bath/bed routine.

What do I do for work?  I'm back to my first love, retail.  Specifically, Williams Shoes, a family owned business since 1954.  They're coming up on their 60th anniversary, and it's going to be awesome.  The renovation/sprucing up is a crew-wide affair, let me tell you.  I moved my weight in cinder blocks today, and was happy to do it.

My people skills, customer service skills, and librarian treasure-hunting insights all have an outlet in my current employment.  And guess what?  I love it.  I love that every day I get to walk my son to school and pick him up.  I love that my interactions with strangers/customers are both manageable and time limited.  I love that my checks clear.  But most of all, I LOVE working for a family owned business.  After over a decade of slaving away for corporate clients, it's amazingly refreshing, bracing, and nurturing to work for a family owned business.

I was a sole proprietor once.  It was hard.  I was good at my work, but I stunk like a skunk when it came to finding and securing my customer base.  So I get to do good and have fun at work.  It's like a dream, while moving cinder blocks.  I do my best, every day, and still have enough left over for my son at the end of the day.  I wouldn't be able to do that if I was teaching.  Even as a librarian.  At this time in my life, I've found a pretty darn perfect solution.

Let's put the work stuff to bed, shall we?  Next time we'll get to the good stuff: how I manage to balance it all.

Buckle up, Buttercup.

No comments:

Post a Comment