So, I have a son in 1st grade. He's learning to shower on his own. This afternoon after swimming lessons, when he missed the window for a shower stall in the girls' locker room, it dawned on me that perhaps he really should be in the boys' locker room. Um, yeah. He understands that equipment varies by sex, so it's time. We skipped the shower at lessons. Unfortunately that meant that I got to supervise the same. Even though it took about twice as long for him to change and pack up, I let/made him do the whole thing himself. Next week he's ready for the big leagues. Whew!
What do boys do in the shower for 30 minutes!? On second thought, don't answer that. For about 90% of the time he was singing to himself or enacting imaginary battle scenes involving toys leftover from the days of baths.
I yelled that we don't have an unlimited supply of hot water and that I'm paying for all the water he's using. He yelped and only spent another 10 minutes rinsing off. Good grief.
Yes, I had a glass of wine while paying bills, etc and listening for cries for help that never came. I think I exhaled for the first time in a long while.
Halleluja, the boy can shower himself! Now if he could just learn to roll over and fall back asleep when he wakes up at 6 am...
Buckle up, Buttercup.
No comments:
Post a Comment